What are NHS Health Checks?
If you are aged 40 to 74 years old and don’t have a pre-existing condition, the NHS Health Check is a free midlife MOT.
By checking your circulatory and vascular health, the aim is to prevent or delay the onset of diabetes, stroke, heart and kidney disease and raise the awareness of dementia and alcohol related harm.
By having a free NHS Health Check, you will be better prepared for the future and be able to take steps to maintain or improve your health.
People who have had an NHS Health Check will be advised if necessary on how to reduce their risk of developing disease. That may mean lifestyle changes such as eating a healthier diet, cutting down on alcohol, stopping smoking or increasing their amount of physical activity. If someone is at higher risk, those changes may be combined with medical treatments, such as medicines to lower raised blood pressure or cholesterol.
What happens at the check?
This check is to assess your risk of developing type 2 diabetes, kidney disease and stroke.
- the check will take about 20 to 30 minutes
- you’ll be asked some simple questions. For example, about your family history and any medication you are currently taking
- we’ll record your height, weight, age, sex and ethnicity
- we’ll take your blood pressure and pulse
- we’ll do a simple blood test to check your cholesterol level
- we will discuss how we can support you to reduce your risk and stay healthy
- you’ll be taken through your results and told what they mean
- you’ll be given personalised advice about how to lower your risk and maintain a healthy lifestyle
How do I get a free NHS Health Check in North Lincolnshire?
For a free NHS Health Check, contact your GP. Health Checks are available at all but five of our GP practices in North Lincolnshire.
The Healthy Lifestyle Service can offer Health Checks in the areas not covered by primary care. The Healthy Lifestyle Service can also deliver Health Checks in workplaces for those who find it difficult to access the primary care health checks due to being at work and will also be holding sessions in local community venues across North Lincolnshire.
Contact North Lincolnshire’s Healthy Lifestyle Service on 01724 298212.